Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Scary Adult Things

I opened another savings account tonight.

I was reading my finance book (it has a five month plan and things you should do and it's directed towards women) and then I saw it, the words I knew, but for some reason couldn't make myself really hear:

A checking account is only for the monthly bills it is not to save money in at any point, even if your checking account is interest bearing with a little research you can find a savings account that has better interest and no monthly fee.

Because savings are for emergencies.

Your checking account is not for spur of the moment spending.

So I have now: A checking account, a bank savings account for my sanity, a purely online savings account with high interest bearing for the bulk of the 'under budget' money, and a CD that will mature in October.

I'm scarily becoming more and more adult, but that passage in the book made me get up out of bed to see how much was in my checking that I don't need for monthly bills and a spending allowance for the month. I was amazed at how much I was able to put in the new online savings account (and of course still kept an amount in the checking for my sanity for this trial month).

I may not be able to 'afford' shiny things right now when I'm building up my emergency funds, but it is nice to see that I might actually be able to do the big life changes that I was hoping for in July.

That life change isn't actually a cruise around the world. That... will be later.

Ceasing Ramble.

1 comment:

rachel! said...

I hope I know what that big life change is. My fingers, they are crossed. Minnesota, it is all open arms.