Friday, October 24, 2008

Unexpectedness

I opened up my mailbox while on the phone with Beth last night and saw a card from my Grandpa. I was all ooo and yays. I stuffed the letter in my side bag to protect it from the rain and ran into my house with my groceries.

I forgot about the card until this morning when I was pushing my morning breakfast into the side bag.

I plopped into the recliner and felt it wobble forward and backward as I opened up the card. It was a cute front that we're used to from all of our grandparents.

I giggled at first remembering the awesome card Rach had sent me for Halloween, but as I opened it I saw that twenty dollar bill fall quickly into my lap and read the inside part of the card, the generic poem lilted on "Wishing you life's sweetest moments filled with smiles and cheer, for a birthday so memorable it lasts throughout the year!" I smiled and thought that my Grandpa sent my birthday card an almost two full weeks before my birthday to make sure it got to me on time, but then I focused on his neat penmanship under the Happy Birthday.

"You are sweeter than the strawberries."

I started crying.

Through sniffles and tears I read the rest "Hope you will enjoy your birthday. Love you, Grandpa G"

Even right now I'm misting up as I check to see how he wrote it. Earlier I had told Beth when I retrieved the letter that I was excited to have Grandpa's address to hopefully start writing him letters.

Interesting how one sentence can make your heart melt and remember when you were younger and your Grandparents let you stay up late to watch TV.

Or how you would lay on your stomach feeling the carpet beneath you and hear the easy squeak of their recliners as they read the paper.

But most of all how one simple sentence can make you feel so loved.

Ceasing Ramble.

1 comment:

Dany said...

Awwww, that is very sweet!