Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 4 : 30 Days of TV - Your Favorite Show of All-Time

Day 4 - Your favorite show of all-time

Yes, I'm going to say the exact same thing as one of my fellow friend bloggers.

Who have blogged about my two most favorite television shows ever.

Jessie and Nikki

I thought about it for a moment and I wonder if the reason the show won was because it finished at a later date, but then realized... no I went to a (read three) conventions and a film festival because of the fandom with this show.



Yes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is beating out The X-Files.

I love nearly everything about Buffy. It's the show that really got me started breaking down the way to write, how grammar can be twisted into new forms, and that I should never, ever state out loud in a Joss Whedon show who my favorite character is because they will die.

This is the show that I wrote fanfic for, joined an RPG for, went to conventions for, got over my incredible shyness amongst new people for, and dove into literary and film theory for...

I also wrote papers in college for linguistics, wrote a comparison of Greek view of women and Buffy (thank you Restless for using Sappho's poetry) and did my senior seminar project involving Buffy.

I was a year younger than Buffy and the Scoobies and grew up with them through some very formative years. I like to share Buffy with friends. It's almost a test, that I try not to rig seeing what they like, hate, and who they love.

Buffy made me laugh, cry, and be so proud to see a female save the world when only men had been doing so for so long. It gave me a smart female friend who changed my view on what it was to be gay. It gave me the ability to see that parents sometimes mean the best when they discipline. It showed the bond of love between sisters.

But most of all it gave me the vision that the sarcastic, blunt comedic relief is always more and sometimes are the most fragile and open among us all.

Watch it.

And when you do; don't look at the surface of the plot, look above it.

In Buffy character came first and the plot was moved by the characters...

Also, it gave me Jane Espensen.

I could go on writing a sappy love letter to Buffy, but instead I'll just leave you with my English Senior Seminar video and (hopefully) the scene that it was based off of.





And check in on the others...
Beth
Dany
Jessie
Nikki

Ceasing Ramble.

No comments: