Friday, January 23, 2009

Living in Words

I recently finished a book that my new penpal from the far off shores of Canada sent me with a lovely handwritten letter and a Coffee Crisp bar (which thank heavens I can't purchase them readily here in the States).

I would name the book, but there is the chance that someone who reads this blog might be receiving it soon... so I'll edit that when that event happens.

The imagery washed over me and I got lost in the story.

The beginning, the middle, and the ending has been following me around for more than a week. As I flipped through the pages hungrily devouring pages, words, and letters I became so wrapped up in the book that at the end I found tears in my eyes.

Now, I am not a solemn 'no tears' type of individual, but usually I don't cry when reading books. There are sighs and hmmms and aaaahs, but usually vocally letting out the excitment and feeling is all that matters.

But not in this book.

Which led me to search out in my bookshelf something that I had read before and where the pages felt worn and comforting. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe. Thanks to Candra I have many copies of Fannie Flag, but this is the one that feels like home. The bits of storytelling that weave together stories along time bring that same vivid imagry of the first book.

Idgie and Ruth have the biggest pull for me and often times I think of that relationship, that love and if it's mirrored in my own life.

I think it is, although, not romantically as Idgie and Ruth are linked through pages and charm.

I have a friend who I feel as strongly about as Idgie did Ruth.

So Miss Beth, I'll love you... even if you don't make pie without blueberries.

Even when you infuriate me.

Because you're who I tell my tall tales to and can hear the real story behind them and that I'm always thankful for, even when I can't find the words to say so...

As I sift through books and sink into stories I hope that you can find one that touches you deeply too.

I love you.

(Except you Fred Phelps, I still firmly hate you.)

Ceasing Ramble.

1 comment:

Betty (Beth) said...

Damn, now you've got me all teary eyed. ;-)

I love you too Brendy Foo.

You are my favorite person to make pies for and to watch intelligent movies and TV shows with and to get silly with and say things like "We're not on drugs, we're high on life." :-)

Thanks for being a dork with me. I love you!