Monday, January 5, 2009

The Shortest Distance Between Point A and B

Minnesota tried to keep me in the state the other day. By making an eight-car pile up occur a ½ mile away from me and stopping traffic over a small hill on I-35.

Which, of course, resulted in stopped traffic. Which, of course, resulted in me slowing down, getting in the right lane and then realizing I needed to get onto the shoulder to not hit the stopped cars....

I looked in my rearview mirror and saw that a car behind me wasn't slowing down so I had a choice:

a) keep driving on the shoulder and possibly be slammed into, wrecking my car, deploying my airbags, and possibly putting me and others in the hospital.

b) drive off the shoulder and into a snow bank.

I chose B.

Six feet and eighty-five dollars later I was back on the road after a break to do some texting, talking to concerned parent and friends, and eating some lovely salt and vinegar chips (thanks for pushing those on me M). I then drove through Iowa where I saw at least 25 cars off on the road and people continued to break for absolutely no reason. When I saw the crunched up highway patrolman's car being lifted onto a tow truck I was thankful I chose B.

Because no matter that the car didn't stop and see if I was okay, like any decent human being should have... I didn't find out what could have happened if I chose A.

Please return later when I post the picture that made me laugh when I stopped for gas in Bethany, MO. Also how I didn't call Nik and state, "I'm almost in Bethany." I will never know.

Maybe my brother's gift to me was spot on.

Ceasing Ramble.

2 comments:

rachel! said...

!!!

I'm glad you picked B. The roads yesterday were some of the worst I've driven, weirdly. Black ice everywhere. I slid twice, a lot -- further than I've ever slid in my sure-footed little Civic before.

MN loves you!

Bryce said...

If you had just come to breakfast, this all could have been avoided.... Just sayin'. Glad you're okay!