Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 22: 30 Days of TV - Favorite Season Finale

Day 22: Favorite Season Finale

I didn't even have to think. It's Six Feet Under.


Six Feet Under was a fantastic show, with a great premise, actors from all walks of life came through the Fisher & Sons home and they lived in it.

My instant answer to this question of Best, Favorite, Most Moving, etc.etc. finale will always be Six Feet Under. While many shows take you successfully on an arc with the characters you never quite feel the completion  that you do with the Fisher family at the end of this hour of television.

I recently forced Beth to finally finish this series because I knew I would be writing about it for this day. She had heard numerous friends and random people declaring out loud in a fashion almost as fervent as people talk about politics, religion, and  secret family recipes. It took her two years to plug through the series and I know why, Beth is about experiencing any form of artistic culture in a community type setting.

Music, art, movies, television are always better when she can share them with someone. It's why we go to so many things together and why going to the movie theatre is still something that is a deep down need for her and I sometimes. Art is about sharing an emotional experience with others... even if it's just sitting beside them on the couch and sharing the same air.

This morning when I was able to talk with her about this series finale I felt a little more complete, because now another of my friends is breathing that same air with me. And when television can make you feel... when it elevates itself from an hour of forgettable programming (I'm looking at you Two and a Half Men) to something that you need others to experience.

That's something to write a blog about.

If you haven't watched the series, please don't watch this clip. Do yourself the favor invest in five seasons with the Fishers, you'll thank me for it when you can take that deep body rattling breath when you see the screen fade to white at the end of the series, like it does every episode.

But this time, you know... it's ended for good.

Why am I not talking about it in depth? Because I could talk about the below ten minutes for days. I probably will as Beth and I walk along the sidewalks of Weston this Saturday, most likely holding hands, swinging them playfully back and forth as we window shop.

But you should watch the show, everybody's waiting for you.



Ceasing Ramble.

P.S. - The sensory reaction I have to Sia's - Breath Me, is always cathartic every time. I always put it on a workout or driving play list. It centers me into stripping away the outside world and remembering why I'm here, what I'm doing, and where I'll be going.

No comments: